top of page

A Quick Guide to the Visa Process for ESL Teachers in Thailand


Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) in Thailand is an exciting opportunity for individuals looking to immerse themselves in a rich cultural experience while sharing their language skills. However, before embarking on this adventure, it's crucial to understand the visa process involved. In this blog post, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide to the visa requirements and procedures for ESL teachers in Thailand.

Tourist Visa

Most ESL teachers initially enter Thailand on a tourist visa, which allows for a stay of up to 60 days. This visa can be obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country. It's important to note that while on a tourist visa, you are not permitted to work or engage in any employment-related activities.

Non-Immigrant B Visa

To legally teach in Thailand, ESL teachers must obtain a Non-Immigrant B (Non-B) visa. This visa is specifically designed for individuals intending to work or conduct business in the country. Here are the steps to acquiring a Non-B visa:

a. Job Offer and Work Permit: Before applying for the Non-B visa, you must secure a job offer from a registered Thai educational institution. The employer will assist you in obtaining a work permit, which is a prerequisite for the visa application.

b. Visa Application: Once you have the work permit, you can proceed to apply for the Non-Immigrant B visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in your home country. You will need to submit the necessary documents, including your passport, visa application form, work permit, employment contract, and supporting documents.

c. Visa Approval: The processing time for the Non-B visa varies depending on the embassy or consulate. It's advisable to apply well in advance to allow for any unforeseen delays. Once approved, the visa will be affixed to your passport.

Extension of Stay

The initial Non-B visa is typically valid for 90 days. To extend your stay in Thailand, you must apply for a one-year extension of stay based on your employment as a teacher. The process usually involves the following steps:

a. Notification of Staying: After entering Thailand on a Non-B visa, you must notify the Immigration Bureau of your address within 24 hours.

For those residing in Bangkok, the notification can be made online or in person at the Immigration Bureau. In other provinces, the process may vary, so it's best to consult with the local immigration office.

b. Visa Extension: Roughly 45 days before your Non-B visa expires, you can apply for a one-year visa extension at the Immigration Bureau.

You will need to provide the necessary documents, including a letter from your employer, recent photographs, a copy of your passport, and a completed application form.

A fee is required for the visa extension, and the approval process can take several weeks.

Multiple Re-Entry Permit

If you plan to travel outside of Thailand during your employment period, it is advisable to obtain a multiple re-entry permit. This permit allows you to leave and re-enter the country without invalidating your visa or visa extension. You can apply for a multiple re-entry permit at the Immigration Bureau or the One-Stop Service Center for Visas and Work Permits.


Navigating the visa process is an essential step for ESL teachers planning to work in Thailand. From obtaining the initial Non-B visa to extending your stay and acquiring a multiple re-entry permit, understanding and following the necessary procedures is crucial for a successful teaching experience. By adhering to the guidelines outlined in this quick guide, ESL teachers can ensure a smooth transition and focus on what they do best: impart.

If you require further detail on the visa or work permit process please feel from to drop us an email at

283 views0 comments


bottom of page